Thursday, August 8, 2013

Summer of 2013 Part 1: A Few Good Men...er...Kids

I had great expectations for keeping up this blog over the summer.  Unfortunately, I failed miserably.  From the day after school let out, I hit the ground running.  And what I didn't think, was that I would be having so much fun and soaking in every minute, that I wouldn't even CONSIDER spending time in front of a computer.  So now, as this unforgettable summer break is coming to an end, I'd like to catch up and reflect on all the amazing memories and experiences of the past 2 months.

Rewind to June 5, 2013, aka, THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL

I have to say, that usually I'm welcoming the last day of school with open arms and a fist pump.  My ritual includes, but is not limited to, dancing a jig, praising the Lord, and looking straight ahead to a summer full of lazy days, bikinis, and cocktails on weekdays (cause that never happens during the school year :).

However, this year was a bit different.  Don't get me wrong, there was still the celebratory dance and maybe a cartwheel in the middle of my cleared out classroom, but I was actually, genuinely sad to see my class move on.  And while I love every class for different reasons, this group of kids really touched my heart.

For one, I was lucky enough to have many brothers and sisters of students that had been in my class two years ago, so therefore, I felt that I had grown close with not only the kiddos, but the families.  Also, The parents were kind and trusting, and I felt like there was a mutual respect between all of us..parents, teacher, and students (Which is a BIG DEAL).  It helped that I was (and still am) blessed to work on a strong team with deep rooted beliefs in education, that I can collaborate with.  But most importantly, the children were (and still are) extremely smart, made me laugh out loud every day, and had some of the kindest souls I've ever known.

Don't get me wrong, no one is perfect, and there were certainly days that I would feel like I was going crazy, on the verge of an anxiety attack, or just like I was an all around horrible teacher. (Teachers, can I get an AMEN?!?)  However, I still found myself coming to school each morning and leaving each afternoon, with an overall peace and joy about my job and my class.  I think it mainly had to do with the fact that I felt like our little classroom community had developed into a family.

Now, suddenly it was time to say good bye.  And while I had many wonderful plans for my own summer, part of me wasn't ready to cut the 4th grade cord.

This is what I gave each kiddo on the last day of school.  I got the printables and ideas online, and added a few parts myself.  
It included:
A reading log
Bookmark
Gummy "book worms"
A picture from field day
An addressed and stamped envelope to me, with a cute card inside.  
I told each of them to write me over the summer if they finished a book, or just to let me know how they are doing.


After shedding some tears at our end of year celebration, as my students, buzzing with energy and excitement, began to pepper out to start their summer breaks, I hugged each of them and said the same prayer:

I prayed that they will always remember this year with a smile on their face instead of a scowl.
I prayed that they left my classroom with a love for reading that they didn't have when they walked into my classroom for the first time in August.
I prayed they built true relationships with at least one, if not more of their classmates, and they will be able to lean on each other through tough times in Junior High and beyond.
And most of all, I prayed that they remember how much I love them, care about them, and how proud I am of the people they are and the people they have the potential to become.

I told every one of them that they have the power to change the world, and I absolutely meant every word of it.

I'll always remember my class of 2012-2013, and I hope and pray that this coming school year will be just as great!


I'm so lucky to work with such amazing educators and administrators! 
**Disclaimer**This was not taken on school property

Field Day


Yay for Summer!





No comments:

Post a Comment